Some good parts, kind of integrated

We are packing up, so I’m done for now. Progress has been pretty good. The core parts of the posting module are done, though they are not yet managed by a “topic manager” or some similar. I have YUI talking via PHP to MySQL, sending objects that contain data that will be needed in a structured way. That turned out to be much harder than I thought, simply because I couldn’t make the debugger in IntelleJ work in the PHP server file in such a way that I could watch an HTTP request come in. In olden days, I would have RTFM about the process and worked from that, but now with OpenSource, I’ve become very dependent on the debugger to tell me what’s actually going on. Many times things don’t correspond with (often stale) documentation. So in the end, I put together a light PHP class that pretty much echoed POST calls back at me so that I could look at them in the JavaScript debugger. That burned a day. Sigh.

The last (new) thing to do is to make the database access robust. I did my code based on Learning PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript, a generally fine book, but it still uses the deprecated “mysql_*” calls. I need to update that and have some generalized data return structures built. Then that part should be reasonably static from here on out.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s